CEUS · 3 CEU or 45 Clock Hours
This course is scheduled for 45 hours. Work at your own pace and schedule. You can stop in the middle of a lesson and pick up from where you left off at another time.
This course is designed to provide educators with an opportunity to engage in a PLC Book Review of Transformative Assessment in Action by W. James Popham. To earn course credit, read the book and engage in one of three assignment choices to share your learning. Book studies allow you to read engaging researched-based books and consider how to incorporate the concepts into your own practice. A great approach to the course is to form a PLC with your peers so that you can collaborate as a group. Discussion options are also part of the classroom so that you can discuss your learning with teachers from all over the world.
The book covers the following topics:
- Formative assessments.
- Why true formative assessment is about adjusting instructional decisions.
- How formative assessments fit into a sequence of learning progressions.
- Help you find out what students are and are not learning and use those discoveries to change your instruction.
- Give students performance data that helps them adjust their learning tactics.
- Change classroom climate from grade competition to student-teacher collaboration on reaching specific learning goals.
- Build schoolwide learning communities that promote teacher professional development.
Requirements for Completion
Read then write one journal entry per module (4 total) sharing how you will use the information in your classroom or teaching. Journal entries should be at least 150 words.
Develop a poster, presentation, or paper that describes the fundamentals of the topic.
Student created activity- you choose an activity that you will benefit from the most. Send an email proposal to the instructor for approval first.
Discussions and participation.
Write 4 chapter summaries
This course does require that you use a book. Please purchase or borrow a copy to use.
Popham, W.J. (2011). Transformative Assessment in Action: Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
ISBN # 978-1-4166-1124-0
CEUSforteachers.com is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, nor sponsored by ASCD or the authors.