Adams State University CREDITS · 3 Semester Credits
CEUS for Teachers has partnered with Adams State University (ASU) to offer high-quality courses using the flexibility of online delivery. Participants must have a bachelor's degree to be eligible.
To take a Professional Development Course and earn ASU Credit:
- First, register for the course below.
- Complete the course.
- Once you have successfully completed the course, you may then register for ASU graduate credit on their website. Directions for registration will be offered at the completion of the course.
- Students pay a separate fee to ASU for the university credit ($55.00 per credit).
- Class Fee - $175.00 to CEUS for Teachers
- Adams State University- $165.00 for 3 semester hours paid at the end of the course to ASU.
- Total Cost with Credit = $340.00 + textbook (student's responsibility to purchase).
After you have completed the course and applied for credit:
- CEUS for teachers will send a grade report to ASU within 72 hours.
- Once your record is finalized, ASU will mail a free official transcript within 5-7 days.
- Additional copies may be ordered online by going to: http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/
This course is designed to explore different strategies and instructional approaches to help students succeed in the classroom. Teachers will learn to recognize the role of teaching students about
Grit and Mindset. The course is targeted for educators in the K-12 grade levels, including special
education, counselors, administration, and instructional coaches.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Define Grit and describe how to effectively use it in the classroom.
- Define Mindset and describe how to effectively use it in the classroom.
- Summarize attitudes about the terms Grit and Mindset in education.
- Develop a mission/vision statement related to how the concept of Grit and Mindset plays
a role in instruction.
Required Texts: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck ISBN # 9780345472328
In order to receive a Passing grade, the participant must:
Class Participation: Each student is expected to read assigned material, participate in online discussion and activities related to course objectives.
Activities: A number of different learning activities will ensure participant engagement and learning in the course. These include:
- Creating a PowerPoint on Growth Mindset for parents or peers.
- Analyzing articles and summaries for two articles provided by the instructor.
- Grit Scale Completion.
- Written chapter summaries (4 total covering 8 chapters)
Journal Entry: The journal will require students to make a connection from the course
theory and materials to the student’s own classroom practice.
Culminating Project: The final project will integrate the student’s learning of all lessons.
The materials will be synthesized into a final project that illustrates how the content will
be used in the teacher’s classroom. The student can choose which final project to
complete. The student will complete one of the following Options:
Develop a poster, presentation, or paper that describes the fundamentals of growth
mindset and grit.
Write a letter to parents or your students that describes the role of grit and growth
- Participation (5 points each X 4 lessons) 10 points
- Grit and Growth Mindset Presentation 10 points
- Grit Scale Completion 5 points
- Journals (5 points each X 4 lessons) 20 points
- Summaries (5 points each X 4 lessons) 20 points
- Article Summaries (5 points each X 3) 15 points
- Culminating Project 20 points
Total 100 points
- A = 90- 100 points
- B = 80-89 points
- C = 70-79 points
- D = 60-69 points
- F = 59 and lower